Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Screaming CD4069 filter + distortion

Here is veroboard layout and schematic of my 4069UB based filter. It is pretty easy to build and makes quite rough sounds. It will oscillate when resonance is kranked also the distortion part oscillates quite easely. It has lots of gain so a volume pot before the final output might be a good idea :)

Most of the component values are tweakable. The two filtering caps (10n in schematic+vero layout) can be changed anything from 4,7n to 47n (larger values for more bass) It works from +5 to +12v. pin 14 on 4069 is not connected directly to +voltage but through 1k resistor and then a 47uF from pin 14 to ground (this part is missing from my schematic but it is drawn on the vero layout).



5 comments:

enfetjävlaholk said...

Would love to hear how this sounds!

Unknown said...

thanks a lot for sharing your circuits! I'm new to electronics, and have a simple question because I'm not 100% sure how this circuit works: I'd like to use this circuit without DPDT switch, but can't get my head around on what this switch connects and disconnects.. So this circuit has two states of output or only one (i.e. wet and dry)?
I've built this circuit, but have no dpdt switch and would like to always have a "wet" signal. Which wire have to go where then?
Sorry for maybe a bit confusing question.
Hope to hear from you.

Thanks a lot in advance

Unknown said...

Hello Unknown,
Don't know if you're still interested in doing this but the switch is to add a distortion stage, otherwise it puts out a filtered signal. What the switch does is send the output of the filter to the input of the distortion while simultaneously changing the out to the jack.

Unknown said...

thanks for reply. Yes, I've soldered this one the same day I wrote that question. Something wasn't working, and I haven't got a switch and didn't wanted to use it in general, but I turned this thingy into a bit more simplified version of a filter with frequency control going up to the resonance range which is great.
Integrated this one into a specific modular version set, if you've heard of - Tangible Waves / AE Modular system. Bought a few original modules and the rest made myself. Modular runs on 5V so it's super easy for all DIY stuff.

Head down for sharing schematics!

Kidnly,
Ben

nira said...

I love the information you share here. It’s a well written blog post by you. 
sagame
sagame66
sagame77
sagame88